Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Weather Can be Tough on Gardens

Besides having winds that were sustained at about 35 to 45 mph with wind gusts above 60 mph we also received a late frost. Gary is having to replant all of his pepper plants, some of the tomatoes and the cucumbers. Most of the cantaloupe also did not make it but no one has new plants so I guess we may do without that this year. The potates look a little worse for the wear but I think they will survive as will the radishes, kolrabi, carrots and watermelon (they were still covered). The corn is iffy but it was having a hard time coming up so wasn't too far along. We shouldn't complain too much because there are many corn fields in the area that were totally destoyed and it is too late to replant. Fortunately the sugar beets survived pretty well and there aren't many beans in the ground this year.
My flowers faired pretty well and mostly show some wind burn. I did lose a couple of delicate plants that I had put in the barrels out front. Mostly I planted petunias and they are pretty hardy. The roses look pretty good in spite of it all. I am posting one picture although I actually have between 24 and 30 rose bushes. The grape vines also don't look too bad and even though they are only in their second year of growth and still pretty small there is one that has several bunches of grapes growing. If you look close at the picture you can see some of them. Brooklyn stayed with me Wednesday afternoon and I got a couple of cute shots of her playing under the dining room table. She thought it was pretty funny to peer out at Grammy. Later I took her outside to the swing on the tree. I don't think she has ever giggled so hard. Swinging sure did tickle her.





1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Too bad the calarabi couldn't have died instead of the canteloupe. HeeHee